Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Well, we are back from the trip and pretty well settled in. The house was a mess yesterday and today is looking a little more orderly, it's just amazing to me how much laundry always needs to be done! I probably need to vacuum and dust and clean the bathrooms, but it was all I could do to get the kitchen cleaned and laundry folded. I did make it to the grocery store today and we went for a walk. So it was a productive day.

The traveling was difficult, but I think that's to be expected with a four month old. It would have been better if he could have used words like, "I need to pee" or "I'm hungry" or "I'm tired, I'm bored" But he didn't and so we had to just persevere through it.

I potty-ed him at rest stops as much as I could. The only problem is that McDonald's bathrooms are not always a comfortable place to potty your infant. Looking back I wish that we had just stopped at a picnic area and done it outside. I almost stuck him on a toilet while out in a Braum's parking lot, near the car on a patch of grass. The fresh air seemed so much nicer than the dirty tile in public restrooms. He had just had a screaming fit in the tiny bathroom with three other women in it. I couldn't do anything except wipe him up and put Desitin on his red little bottom. I hate diaper rashes. There was no way he was going to be able to calm down and pee in that tiny loud bathroom. So I just brought him out and nursed him.
Anyways, I almost pottyed him there but Ben said he didn't want to get a ticket. :)

Things like this are definitely a struggle. With him in the back seat I felt like our communication was next to nil. I think that made things more difficult.

He also slept a lot in the car so now I am guessing his sleeping patterns have been thrown off. He was sleeping through the night great, now he's waking up once or twice a night. This was not fun last night or the night before. : P

I am praying that we can get back to some sort of normalcy. I think I just need to really pay attention to what is going on with him.

He is also changing too. He is starting to enjoy toys. I have found that I can dangle a toy in front of him and it makes him stop crying... Miraculous!!! This was especially useful in the grocery store today. Instead of being inconsolable he laughed and played when I talked to him or gave him a toy. This is changing my life :)

I think he is really wanting to roll over and crawl. I think maybe his biggest problem right now is the size of his head. When he is on his tummy he picks up his head and his legs immediately go up as well. It's as though they are not heavy enough to keep his head in the air, so he has to arch his back. Hopefully he will gain some weight.

1 comment:

  1. Traveling is SO hard with babies! It messes their schedules up so much. It boys always have trouble sleeping on trips or right after we get back. Hope you get back into your routine soon!

    ReplyDelete