Thursday, May 20, 2010

Okay, so it's been a while. I've been busy and distracted... and kind of lazy. But really, why make excuses?

Levi has been doing great with EC! I am totally amazed at times that he has chosen to hold his elimination (moreso poops than pees) for the toilet. We EC both into his little potty but then I also hold him over the big toilet. Mainly because I am lazy and I just want to be able to flush it instead of dump out his potty and then rinse it. See, I'm lazy :) I think the next step is when he is able to sit up on his own I will purchase a toilet insert so he can sit on the big toilet without me having to strattle it and hold him there.

I have decided he's going to start getting solids on a regular basis. Every morning and every afternoon/evening-ish I am going to start giving him a little bit of oatmeal. I have heard so many viewpoints about what to introduce first to Levi that I have decided to go with what my doctor recommends (especially since we are about to go to his 6 month appointment!) Cereal. It's easy and I think it will be safe. I gave him a few egg yolks but I wasn't sure about the iron content of them, and I keep reading all this stuff about iron, so I am giving him the baby iron-fortified cereal. Maybe this introduction to solids will help him sleep through the night a little better. We will see.

It's been sporadic as far as sleeping through the night goes. Last night we woke up at 11. I had been asleep for probably about an hour so I was so disoriented that all I could do was stumble in and nurse him, no clear thoughts, no nothing. Then he woke up again at 4, so I fed him again and he went back to sleep until about 7:30. I have decided that I am going to stop EC-ing him in the middle of the night. This might get him used to pooping in the middle of the night and I am tired of EC-ing at this time. It wakes me up too much. If it is just nursing I fall asleep a lot easier than if I'm up and have to think etc...

As far as his naps go, it's hard to keep him awake for more than 2 hours, unless there is a lot of stimulation. He gets so fussy after about an hour and a half that I just have to lay him down again. He sleeps for another hour to two hours and then we go through the same cycle. I've been reading this book called "The Sleep Lady's Good Night Sleep Tight" thanks to my friend Alicia and I think that I need to get him on a little more of a schedule. I so often throw out any kind of schedule that I go the other way and I think we are starting to need a little more consistency.

I am also trying to introduce or get him attached to a "Lovey" a little giraffe blanket stuffed-animal toy that he can take to bed with him. I put it in his free arm while we nurse and then lay him down with it for naps and bedtime. I have to sit and watch him though or else he will totally cover his face with it and then be frustrated because he can't breathe! Oh my, all the things to think about with a little one.

There's my update! Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment