Sunday, May 9, 2010

Practicing

Happy Mother's Day to all of you fine mamas out there! This really feels like the first Mother's Day to me that has special meaning. Last year I was pregnant at this time so Ben bought me some maternity clothes for my Mother's day present. He's so sweet! I haven't gotten anything from him this year, but I'm not a big presents or gifts person, so I think I'm really okay with it. :)

Okay, so I was just wanting to post about this thought that has been bouncing around in my head these past few days. Practicing. I am practicing EC. That is the correct terminology, not necessarily accomplishing EC or dominating EC :), but it's a practice. We go through set-backs, we have times when it is more often and times when we are not able to because of circumstances. Sometimes I get tired of taking is potty with us, so I just choose not to. But all of this is just a gentle practice. We are not expecting perfection from our children, just like we aren't expecting them to walk as soon as they come out of the womb. We are simply guiding them, doing what we feel is best and healthiest for them. Some days Levi is a perfect baby, then a few days will go by and I have no idea why he is crying so much.

Anyways, I have come to believe that EC-ing is just a daily process. We take it one step at a time. We don't allow the Enemy to call us failures. We love on our little ones and do what we feel is best for them.

It's important on those days when it is difficult to really remember why I decided to EC. So I will go ahead and list my reasons for you:
1. Cuts down on diaper rash, keeps Levi from having to sit in his own poop most of the time
2. Is a more natural transition to potty training
3. Is better for the environment than even cloth diapers, even the detergent we use can be harmful
4. I don't want to have to wash so many diapers
5. Cuts down on the amount of leaks, more in the toilet, less in the diaper
6. I want to learn and be in tune with my child for all of his basic needs. Not obsessively so, but just to keep those lines of communication open.

If you EC, do you have any more to add to this list? Would love to hear your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment